Brazil Destinations, Barreiras

 barreiras  barreiras2

At the time of arrival of European settlers to Brazil (XVI century), the central portion of the country
was occupied by Indians. The region where is located the city of Barreiras belonged to the State of
Pernambuco until mid 1824. Pedro I split the current West of Pernambuco Bahia territory as
punishment for the separatist movement known as Confederation of the Equator. The then District of
San Francisco was the last territory separated from Pernambuco, imposing that state a large
reduction of land area of 250 square kilometers to the current 98 311 km2. After three years under
mining administration, the region was annexed to Bahia in 1827.
In the early 1980s, the city began to receive large numbers of migrant farmers from the South region,
attracted by its agricultural potential.
The city is an important agricultural hub and the main urban, political, educational, technological,
economic, tourist and cultural center of western Bahia. Barreiras, together with its surrounding towns,
makes up the largest agricultural region in the Northeast. In addition to these capabilities, it can be
seen also fueling intense commercial activity throughout the region within a radius of 300 km. Today,
by virtue of his great performance in the sectors of trade and provision of services, barriers occupies
a prominent position among the major economic and population centers of the state, and is one of the
main cities of the nationally known as MATOPIBA region.
Barriers stands in the national agribusiness as a major producer of cotton planting 34,491 ha, with
40,291 ha and soybeans with 128,110 there for a total of 202.892 million ha as data from the 2012
AIBA
With an area of 895.24 km2 7, rich in natural beauty, is fringed by mountains and has great water
resources.
Barriers is a municipality in the state of Bahia. It is the twelfth most populous municipality Bahia
Situated in the far west of Bahia, the town is bisected by the Rio Grande, the main tributary of the left
bank of the River San Francisco, and is crossed by three federal highways.
The municipality is rich in water resources. The Rio Grande, Wave River, Rio de Janeiro and Rio
Branco are the key, and form the basin of the Rio Grande that bathes the city, and is the largest basin
on the left side of the Rio São Francisco. The Rio de Janeiro is responsible for the most beautiful
postcards of barriers to Finish Waterfall Life and Redondo (15 meters).
Gateway’s newest ecotourism pole of Bahia, West Roads
Arraial da Penha: Women produce sweets and biscuits typical of the region. In the fertile valleys the
mills still run on animal traction, produce brejeira rum rudimentary.
Historic center: mansions built in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century.
Mercado cultural Caparrosa: Building built in the 1950s to house the county fair. It is a tourist area where
cultural performances and exhibitions of handicrafts are made. The Caparrosa Market is located at Plaza
Landulfo Alves, Historical Center.
Usina Hidrelétrica: Building built in 1928 by Dr. Geraldo Rocha, to house three turbines were powered by an
artificial waterfall, was the second hydroelectric Bahia. Address: Av Sebastiao Ferreira ­ Barreirinhas.

WEATHER ON DESTINATION
0F