Cabo Frio is a municipality in the state of Rio de Janeiro. It is located at 22o52’46 “south latitude and 42o01’07”
west longitude at an altitude of four meters above the sea level. Abuts Armação dos Búzios east, Arraial do
Cabo south, Araruama and Sao Pedro da Aldeia west, and Casimiro de Abreu e Silva north to Garden. It is the
seventh oldest city in Brazil and the principal of the Lakes Region. It has 200,380 inhabitants, according to the
estimate by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics in August 2013. It is well known for its tourist
attractions such as Praia do Forte.
Human occupation of the land where he would settle the city of Cabo Frio began more or less 6000 years,
when a small band of nomadic families arrived in canoes at sea and camped in the Morro dos Indios, then a
small rocky island in the current bar the Araruama Lagoon and coastal extreme point margin sandbank of
As the archaeological evidence found in this sambaqui, later to be abandoned by the depletion of resources for
survival, nomadic group had rudimentary technology and was based on a collection economy, fishing and
hunting, where the molluscs accounted for almost all the result of the effort for food purposes and adornment.
There are more than 1,500 years, the Tupinamba indigenous warriors began the conquest of the coast of the
The archaeological remains of tupinambás villages in Cabo Frio (“Three Sales” in Araruama and Air Base
Naval de São Pedro da Aldeia in Sao Pedro da Aldeia) and also in fishing camps (“Big Beach” in Arraial do
Cabo ) show more effective ecological adaptation that pioneer nomadic bands. The deep biological knowledge
of the regional landscape, particularly the Araruama Lagoon and coastal seas very rich in natural resources,
caused the fish to become the staple food of tupinambás, enhanced by the capture of crustaceans, gastropods
The vegetation of salt marshes and mangroves from the seafront offering exceptional possibilities for gathering
wild resources, which also led to the horticulture of various botanical species, highlighting the strong presence
of cassava on the menu as well as the field of ceramic techniques. Hunting exclusively male activity, it was
very important as a protein supplement in the diet of local groups.
The Tupinamba Indians named the Cabo Frio region as “Gecay” which was the only seasoning name of its
cuisine, made with crystallized sea salt. In the land where he would settle the city of Cabo Frio, they were
found four possible tupinambás sites. The first two, the Morro dos Indios and Boavista Dune, exhibit signs of
being fishing camps and gathering shellfish, while the third, the Itajuru Fountain, near the hill of the same
name, was the only sure way of water supply Drinking and current available through the sandbank.
In 1503, the third Portuguese naval expedition to recognize the Brazilian coast was shipwrecked in Fernando
de Noronha and the remaining fleet dispersed. Two ships under the command of Amerigo Vespucci, followed
trip to Bahia and then to Cabo Frio. Next to the harbor bar Araruama, the expedition build and garrisoned with
24 Christians a fortressfactory to explore Brazil wood, abundant on the continental margin of the pond.
This pioneering commercial and military establishment, which effected the Portuguese possession of the new
land discovered and began the conquest of the American continent, was destroyed in 1526 by Tupinambas
according to the “many disorders and disagreements among them there.”
Cabo Frio has some of the most beautiful beaches of Rio de Janeiro and the country. Praia do Forte has an
unrivaled beauty, with the tourists their white sands and crystal clear waters that are shown in light blue or
greenish tones. In this beach, we can also contemplate the Forte de São Mateus do Cabo Frio, historical
monument, located in the left corner of the beach, that in the period of Portuguese colonization, defended the
coast in the region of foreign invasions and pirates.
Apart from Praia do Forte, Cabo Frio has the following beaches: Brava Beach, Peró Beach, Shell Beach, and
the beaches Unamar and Aquarius in the second district (Tamoios).
The Gamboa Shopping is a shopping center to open at Rua José Rodrigues Póvoas (Rua dos Bikinis). The
mall has a penthouse with huge awnings lilies format, to mitigate the heat during the day. Despite the trade,
the mall did not leave aside the natural part, with gardens with plenty of green and wooden walkways.
Forte de São Mateus do Cabo Frio:
Built by the Portuguese between 1616 and 1620 in order to defend the coast against French, British and Dutch
who came in search of the immense amount of Brazil wood that was in the area. The cannons used in the
battles are still facing the sea, as if ready to defend the city from further attacks.
The house where the soldiers lived today serves as a space for artisans showcase their work. The fort, one
has a full view of the whole length of Praia do Forte to Arraial do Cabo. Beach to the opposite side, you can
see the Japanese Island, unexplored place with fishermen in small boats and colorful and larger vessels head
for the high seas..
Bairro da Passagem:
The Passing of the neighborhood has emerged as a foothold in the crossing to the Channel Itajuru and still
keep time characteristics of the municipality’s foundation, for there appeared their first buildings. The
architectural and historical wealth transformed the site into a tourist spot.
The Church of St. Benedict, built in 1701, is part of the heritage that this neighborhood home. The chapel was
built especially for blacks and press slaves for simplicity.
O monumento Anjo Caído.
Located in the middle of Itajuru Canal, the Portinho neighborhood. The monument takes its name from display
in the column that supports a lean, due to the movement and strength of the tides. The angel was carved in
stone on a column of nine meters high, in honor of the opening of the Canal Artificial Palmer, in the early
twentieth century. Currently the Cabo Frio City Hall along the River government is trying to reform the
Monument because apparently he will not hold long.