Brazil Destinations, Campinas

campinas  campinas2

History:
Campinas is a municipality in the state of São Paulo, Southeast Region of the country. It belongs to the micro
and meso namesake, distant 99 km northwest of Sao Paulo, the state capital. It occupies an area of 794.433
square kilometers, of which 238.323 km2 are in the urban area and the remaining 556.11 square kilometers
make up the countryside. In 2014, its population was estimated by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and
Statistics 1,154,617 inhabitants, 9 being the third most populous city of São Paulo (getting behind Guarulhos
and capital) and the fourteenth across the country. In fifth place among 100 municipalities analyzed by the
Index of Biggest and Best Brazilian cities, the BCI100 prepared by Delta Economics & Finance based on 2010
census data from IBGE and Ideb.
Campinas was founded on July 14, 1774. Between the late eighteenth century and the early twentieth century,
the city had coffee and sugarcane as important economic activities. But since the 1930s, industry and trade are
the main sources of income, is considered a regional industrial center. Currently it consists of four districts, as
well as headquarters, and also subdivided into 14 regional administrations, five regions and several
neighborhoods.

Geography:
The municipal area, according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics, is 795.697 km2, of which
238.3230 km2 make up the urban area and the remaining 557.334 km2 are the rural.Situa to zone 22o54’21
“south latitude and 47o03’39 “west longitude and it is at a distance of 96 km northwest of the state capital. Its
neighboring cities are Paulínia, Jaguariúna and Pedreira, north; Morungaba, Itatiba and Valinhos, east;
Itupeva, Indaiatuba and Monte Mor, south; and Hortolândia and Sumaré in the west.
Campinas is located next to two river basins: the river Piracicaba, covering the Atibaia River and the streams
Anhumas and Quilombo, occupies the Northern, Central and Eastern city, extending by a 12,531 sq km area,
covering the southeastern state of São Paulo and the southern end of Gerais 36 Mines and the Capivari
covering the Ribeirão Piçarrão, occupying the regions Northwest, Southwest and South of the city, extending
over an area of 1611 km2 st.
Economy:

The Gross Domestic Product of Campinas is the largest metropolitan area of Campinas, the fifth of São Paulo
and the 13th nationwide. According to data from the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics for 2008,
the gross domestic product of the municipality was 29,363 064,180 thousand. real, and 8,133,470,000 are
taxes on products
According to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics], the city had, in 2009, 46,362 local units,
44,496 companies and active commercial establishments and 780,390 workers, with 420,180 total employed
persons and 360,210 salaried employed. Wages along with other compensation amounted to 9,233,608 real
and the average monthly salary of all county was 4.4 times the minimum wage. The main economic source is
focused on the tertiary sector, with its various segments of trade and services in various areas, such as
education and health. Then, there is the secondary sector, with large industrial complexes
The region is home to more than 10,000 large and medium­sized companies, many of them among the
thousand largest and best in Brazil, according to Exame magazine, such as Honda, Toyota, Unilever, Mann +
Hummel, 3M Brazil, Bosch, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dell, IBM, BASF, Dow Chemical, Villares, Ericsson, Singer,
Goodyear, CPFL, Elektro, Valeo, Rigesa, International Paper, Nortel, Lucent, Samsung, Motorola, Medley,
Cristália, Romi, Tenneco, General Electric, Texas Instruments, Mabe, Altana, Solectron, AmBev, Caterpillar,
Bombardier, CAF and many others. The petrochemical complex is centered in the city of Paulinia, a few
kilometers from Campinas, near the refinery Planalto Paulista Petrobras (Replan) is the largest in Brazil one of
the largest in Latin America, and has companies like Dupont, Chevron, Shell, Exxon Ipiranga Group, Eucatex,
Rhodia, and others.

Tourism:
The responsible for the cultural sector of Campinas is the City Department of Culture, which aims to plan and
implement the cultural policy of the municipality through the development of programs, projects and activities
aimed at cultural development.It is linked to the Mayor’s Office, part of the indirect public administration of the
municipality and has administrative and financial autonomy, ensured especially by budgetary allocations, own
property, enforcement of its revenues and signing contracts and agreements with other institutions. This area
was structured by Municipal Law 10,248 of September 15, 1999, being composed of the Municipal Office of the
Secretary of Culture, the Administrative Department, the Department of Culture, the Department of Symphonic
Orchestra of Campinas and the Department of Municipal Radio System and TV.
Campinas has three municipal theaters, namely the Family Center ­ multipurpose space, which allows the
realization of theater, dance, lectures, symposia, conferences, art exhibitions and other areas, which was
designed by architect Fabio Penteado, being opened in 1976 and possessing a capacity of approximately five
thousand people ­ the Teatro José de Castro Mendes, founded in 1976, adapted from the building of the old
movie theater Industrial Village, the Cine Casablanca, possessing outstanding architectural features, besides
being in reforms without finishing forecast since 2007
beyond the Children’s Theatre “Carlos Maia”, located inside the Bosque Jequitibás, having a capacity of about
150 people and are designed to meet the demands of children. Among other spaces dedicated to organizing
events also include the Teatro Father Pedro Dingenouts, also known as Cultural Community Center Village
“Padre Anchieta”, which has a concert hall for 300 people, and the Auditorium “Beethoven “which has a
capacity of about 2000 places, being designed to carry out events of small to medium sized, outdoor
livre.Também had the Teatro Municipal de Campinas, which opened in 1930 and demolished in 1965 for
unknown reasons .

Museums and sights:
Campinas has several museums, including the Museum of Contemporary Art ­ Municipal public institution,
subordinated to the Department of Culture, Sport and Leisure, and dedicated to the conservation, study and
dissemination of contemporary Brazilian art ­ the Museum of Modern Art ­ the Museum of History natural ­
institution listed by the Council for the Defense of Historical, Artistic, Archaeological and Tourism
(CONDEPHAAT in 1970) and the Council for the Defense of Cultural Heritage of Campinas (CONDEPACC in
1991) ­ and the Museum of Image and Sound ­ Museum public focused on disseminating and preserving the
audiovisual heritage of the municipality memory. The Campos Sales Museum, the Museum Carlos Gomes and
the Pinacoteca Science Center, Letters and Arts are located in the same building in the center.
As for tourist attractions, the main urban park in the city is the Parque Portugal, better known as Taquaral,
depending on the name of the lagoon, founded in 1972. In it there is a gymnasium, a tram route that surrounds
the pond, the Planetarium. Other attractions are the Jequitibás Wood, which inside houses a mini­zoo and the
museum
Natural History. The observation deck at the top of Castle Tower allows an almost complete view of the city
from its six rails. There is also the Culture Station, which occupies the premises of the former railway station
dating from 1884. There is also the Anhumas Station, starting point of the tourist route steam train connecting
Campinas to Jaguariúna. The Saudade Cemetery was founded in 1881 and today is considered one of the
most important cemeteries in Brazil due to the architectural richness and importance of the works of art that
bear much of their graves, among them pieces in marble, granite, copper and brass , sculpted by artists like
Tomagnini, J. Rosy, Velez, Albertini and Colluccini, and was listed by the Defense Council of Cultural Heritage
of Campinas (Condepacc).
In the city there are also five public libraries, which are: the Municipal Public Library Teacher Ernesto Manoel
Zink, created in 1971; the Public Library Children “Monteiro Lobato”, founded in 1979; the District Public
Library Sousas “Guilherme de Almeida”, opened in 1963; and the Municipal Public Library “Joaquim de Castro
Tibiriçá”, installed in 1976.

WEATHER ON DESTINATION
°
Weather from OpenWeatherMap