Divinópolis is a municipality in the state of Minas Gerais. As the midwest region hub of its state, it is
characterized mainly as clothing manufacturer and metallurgical / steel industry.
Divinópolis was founded in 1767 by João Pimenta Ferreira on behalf of fifty families living in nearby properties
to Itapecerica and Rio Pará. The first settlement occurred near the banks of this river and from there began to
be called Itapecerica . In 1770 it was renamed to Espírito Santo do Itapecerica, being a city district called
Tamanduá (currently Itapecerica). In 1912 it became a city with the name of Divinópolis in honor of its former
The arrival of Ferro Oeste de Minas Railway in 1890 allowed the installation of iron and steel industries,
leading to a development of the city.
The territory is bordered by two rivers, both tributaries of the São Francisco River: Para River, which rises in
Entre Rios de Minas and bathes the entire coast of Divinópolis, and the Itapecerica River, born in this region
(Boa Vista and Tamanduá Rivers), cutting across the city for 18 km. It ends in the Pará River.
The climate is hot and semihumid, with dominating winds of southeast and northeast, weak and moderate:
relative humidity, on average, in 72%. Rainfall ranges from 1,200 mm to 1,700 mm annually. Average winter
temperature: 18.5°C, in summer: 29°C and 23.8°C in the other seasons.
Located next to the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit. The old house built in the old Square of the Church of the Holy
Spirit of Itapecerica was founded in this region to be the residence of Captain Domingos Francisco Gontijo. In
1906 there was also the first movie theater in the city, with the portable projector carbide gas. It also housed a
clinic, a parish curia, seraphic school, convent of friars and headquarters of the Commissioner of
Gorcomienses Franciscans (Netherlands), who would live there until 1926. In 1937 the Congregation of the
Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart there took the Normal School Dr. Mario Casasanta. From then until
1978, he hosted three other educational institutions, when it was again closed and seriously vandalized.
Although a law in 1982 declaring the mansion of historical and artistic interest of the City, part of the floor was
demolished on the pretext urbanize the square. From 1985 it is under the supervision of the State Institute of
Historical and Artistic Heritage of Minas Gerais (IEPHA / MG), the remaining part is renovated and restored in
1985. The historic townhouse, then immediately starts to house the Historical Museum Divinópolis, that there
settles festively on 31 May 1986. On December 15, 1988, through the Municipal Law n. ° 2,456, the “big
house” becomes the first cultural asset listed by the municipality, and today constitutions in the last remaining
architectural complex considered the generator urban core of the city, major symbol of the first and historic
community struggles in defense of their cultural heritage. The museum received in 2004 and 2005 a total of
34,380 visitors. From February to November 2006, the number of visits is 10,484. In the same period
performed 48 concerts were performed in Praça Dom Cristiano, and 76 schools visited the exhibition.
In the 1930s it was built Gravesend plant and supplied the market with ethanol until the end of the Second
War. There was reactivated in 1950 and to produce flour and balanced feed. After turned off for long periods, it
was renovated and reopened as the Teatro Municipal. It became from 2008 the only theater in town with the
end of the activities of a theater of private initiative, called Theatron.
Like most major urban centers, five Divinópolis movie theaters are located in a shopping mall, the Mall Patio
Divinópolis. Between the 70 and 80, the city had four theaters: Cine Ideal Art, cine Divinópolis, cine Popular
and the last to close down, Cine Alhambra.
Celebrations and festivals
Beer Festival: Occurs at the end of April coming in early May. Several renowned bands go to the city in
Divinaexpo: Always occurring at the time of the anniversary of the city. This is a traditional event with rodeo
and hinterland attractions, as well as several other festivities end of May until June 1
Divine Light: In 2009 was created the Divine Light, the official test DivinaFolia, which takes place in September
Divinafolia: Most micareta party in the area and one of the state’s largest currently in November
Costume party: It occurs from October.
Divinópolis offers a traditional football club in the first division of the mining soccer, Guarani, known as Injun.
After playing the second division of the state championship, the good performance in 2010 led it back to its
place of origin, the first division of the mining soccer. The clubhouse is in the neighborhood Porto Velho, which
is headquartered Waldemar stadium Teixeira de Faria, the Farião. In 2012 the Guarani back to compete in a
national competition after 32 years, the D series of the Brazilian championship.