Brazil Destinations, Passo Fundo

 passofundo  passofundo2

The city of Passo Fundo, emancipated on January 28, 1857, had his beginning on 1827, as a result
of East Plateau occupation and Upper Uruguay, and their original territory now houses 107
municipalities of Rio Grande do Sul. It takes its name because of a river of the same name used by
drovers since the eighteenth century. In 1827 it was founded by cable Manuel José das Neves,
Nossa Senhora da Aparecida’s farm, on the grounds that received the Comandancia Military of São
Borja. This farm was the resumption of settlement of the region where is now the city of Passo Fundo.
His headquarters were in what is now the Plaza Tamandaré. In an area of ​​nine square meters
donated to the Church, it was erected in 1835 the Chapel of Our Lady of Conception, where today is
located the Church of Our Lady of the Conception of Passo Fundo.
In 1830, Captain Joaquim Fagundes dos Reis was appointed by Comandancia Military of São Borja
to exercise the commissioner role in the rising population, and therefore considered the first city
official. Historians point out facts that go through the dark and painful past of Passo Fundo.
Passo Fundo is located in Mesoregion Rio Grande Northwest and Micro­region of Passo Fundo. It
has a 780.355 km2 area. The population estimate by the IBGE, according to the Census 2011 is 186
028 inhabitants. However, it appears to be far more populous, being a university city and commercial
hub upstate, with great flow of people every day to move around the city in search of various
services. Vegetation, predominantly open fields with native forests of subtropical forest type Araucaria
and other species of pines and conifers. The soils are derived from basaltic stroke, deep and well
drained.
Located in a mountainous terrain at an average altitude of 690 meters and with temperate climate,
Passo Fundo presents a climate humid fundamental type. The average annual temperature is 17.5 °
C, with highs around 28 ° C in January and 18 ° C in July and minimum of 17 ° C in January and ­1 °
C in July. Summers are moderately hot, with temperatures exceeding 30 ° C for some days. Winters
tend to be wet and mild, and often during cold peaks are observed maximum temperatures of only
one digit and minimum below 0 ° C. In the cooler months it is common to frost, and more occasionally
the occurrence of snow. Rain is well distributed during the year and the month of September have the
largest volume and the lowest is in April. For each month, the humidity is around 70%. There is no
occurrence of drought.
The economic base of the municipality is concentrated fundamentally in agriculture and trade, and
relies on strong sector in health and education (university). The production and the income generated
in the municipality are centered in the sectors of trade, particularly retail, and services, accounted for
most of the jobs created locally; more than 70.00% of jobs generated in the city of Passo Fundo are
in the tertiary sector. While the total number of formal jobs grew 59.54% from 1985 to 2005,
employment in the commercial sector increased by 54.97% in the industrial sector increased by
around 52.00% and the service sector 57.23 %. Employment in the construction sector reached its
highest value in 1994 (1.249 jobs) and in 2005 accounted for just over half that number.
ATTRACTIONS:
Municipal Public Library: Founded in April 1940, has a collection of over 40,000 books available to the
entire community, plus rooms for reading, research and studies
Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel: Inaugurated in 1835, the town of Pinheiro Torto. According to
popular belief, two slaves returning from a war Province, found the statue of the Archangel Michael
on the edge of a pond, and as they returned, erected a chapel in wattle and daub and grass roof.
From there began the traditional feast of St. Michael, held annually.
Nossa Senhora Aparecida Cathedral: Under license granted to Joaquim Fagundes dos Reis, on
August 23, 1834, the chapel was inaugurated under the name of Our Lady of Aparecida, on top of a
coxilha. In 1885, with the old chapel in ruins, a new church was built on the site and opened on
September 10, 1949, and expanded in 1955. The external façade has four statues that symbolize the
evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
Mae Preta fountain: Built on land donated by Captain Manoel José das Neves, in principle, served to
supply the town of Passo Fundo. According to popular belief, who drink from the fountain water will
surely return to Passo Fundo.
Tourist Complex of Roselândia: The site has an area of ​​over 200hectares, covering various entities,
such as headquarters countryside private clubs, Gaucho Traditions centers, kartródromo, riding
school and rodeos Park. According to unofficial information, the site would house an extensive
reserve of thermal waters not yet explored.
Church: On 1 January 1893 was laid the foundation stone of the parish church, opposite the Plaza
Tamandaré, on land donated by Ramon Rico. On December 17, 1891, Passo Fundo was visited by
the Bishop of Rio Grande do Sul, Archbishop Claudio José Gonçalves Ponce de Leon, who
expressed his satisfaction to know that the “good people” in the area, missing the other Chapel (
Cathedral), planned to build a church under the invocation of Our Lady. It is located next to St.
Vincent Hospital.
Marcos do Pulador: There are two landmarks in the form of capital, the Battle of the jumper occurred
during the Federalist Revolution in 1893. On the other hand, positions the Revolutionary Force of the
Federalists or “Maragatos” and on the other, about 500 meters distance, Marco of Loyalists
Republican Forces or “Chimangos”. Located in the hopper District.
Visual Arts Museum Ruth Schneider and Regional Historical Museum: The space of the Regional
Historical Museum contains a collection in anthropological areas, indigenous, technological,
documentary and photographic, and other sectors that recorded the daily life of the community in the
region. The Visual Arts Museum Ruth Schneider takes the passofundense artist name of works made
donations to the museum’s collection. The work of these entities, the MAVRS and MHR are among
the four major museums in the state.
Gare Park: The architectural complex that forms the Gare Park recalls the ancient site that housed
the railway station, having as one of the main attractions of the “Monument to Flying Man”. Today, the
park has alternative spaces for leisure, sports activities, exhibitions of cultural and artistic nature;
children’s play area and also serves as a stage for various events and fairs. Located in the downtown
area, with access from Avenue Sete de Setembro.
Mae Preta Square: This square is the “Monument to the Mother,” symbol that emphasizes the
sculpture of a woman with her children
Square Teixeirinha: Located in the central area of ​​the city between the two ways of Avenida Brazil,
there is a monument built in honor of the great songbook traditionalist Victor Matheus Teixeira, the
Teixeirinha, which took the name of Passo Fundo to the world through his music .
Square Marechal Floriano: Main square of Passo Fundo and postcard of the city. It has extensive
afforestation, lounging areas, flowers and an artificial lake with fountain. It is the “Cuia of Passo
Fundo,” official symbol of the city that is the traditionalism and the hospitality of the people. The Cuia
was donated in August 7, 1957 by the then Governor of São Paulo, as a gift by the passage of Passo
Fundo centenary.
Municipal Theatre Múcio Castro: Old building of the City Council, located at Avenida Brazil center.
The theater has a capacity of about 200 people and figure as a stage for plays, exhibitions, and
various forms of cultural activities.
Fish and Pay Nossa Senhora Aparecida: Large green area with many attractions for family leisure.
Fish and pay, camping area (during the day) and a restaurant. 5 Km away from the center of Passo
Fundo, way out of Soledad.

WEATHER ON DESTINATION
0F